Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Remembering Uncle Joe

Sometimes you see an old photo that brings back old memories. That's what happened to me a few months ago. My parents were moving, and in the process of packing and sorting they found two very old photos, one of which I've attached here.
This is of my neighbor from my earliest years, Joe Scopa, or Uncle Joe to me. He's the guy in white, third from the left. By the time I knew him he was a retired Indy crew chief, and that to me was and still is very cool. The photo is one he gave me when I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

Uncle Joe had a very large garage in the back of his house, and on occasion an Indy car would show up like the one above, or more often a Sprint or Midget car would show up. Later on the house was sold to a sprint car racer named Lonnie. I grew up in Indianapolis, not too far from the track, and I grew up next to a retired crew chief and then a current race car driver, and with a father who used to drag race. No wonder I love fast cars!

So this photo and another showed up in the mail one day and it reminded me of why people love photos. Because years down the road you look at a photo and it brings back memories and allows you to share your memories with others. This photo reminded me of growing up next to Uncle Joe in Indianapolis, and now I'm sharing that memory with you. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment